Deploying AutoCAD with a custom shortcut and profile
IssueYou would like to create a deployment to install AutoCAD® with a shortcut that will load a custom profile.
To create a deployment installation of AutoCAD® with a shortcut that will load a custom profile, you first need to install the program, and then you need to export a custom profile and create a custom icon. See Start AutoCAD with different profiles for instructions on how to create a custom icon to launch a profile.
- This process only applies to AutoCAD 2004, 2005, 2006 or 2007-based products. It does not apply to AutoCAD LT®.
- This process can be used with either Network or Multi-seat Stand-alone Deployments.
- Autodesk Architectural Desktop and Building Systems products contain custom options to include AutoCAD profiles. Refer to the Network Administrator’s Guide for instructions with those products.
Once you have a custom icon and an exported profile (ARG) file, use the following steps to configure your deployment:
- Install and run the Autodesk Deployment Wizard. Note: To force users to run your custom profile, clear the "Display the AutoCAD shortcut on the desktop" check box. This option is only available in AutoCAD 2006 and 2007-based products.
- On the Install Additional Files page of the Deployment Wizard, click Select Files.
- Highlight the Installation directory folder and click Select Files.
- Locate the AutoCAD profile (ARG) file and click Open. The ARG file will appear under the Installation Directory.
- Click Add Drive. This will create a C:\ drive icon.
- Click Add Folder to create a new folder icon below C:\. Name the folder, "Documents and Settings."
- Click Add Folder to create a new folder icon below C:\Documents and Settings. Name this folder, "All Users."
- Click Add Folder to create a new folder icon below C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Name this folder, "Desktop." Note: Instead of or in addition to the Desktop folder, you could add a Start Menu folder, and then continue adding folders to create a custom Start Menu icon.
- Highlight the Desktop folder icon and click Select Files.
- Browse for the custom icon and click Open. The LNK file will appear below C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop. Note: Your custom icon must have a name that is different from the default program icon.
- Click OK to exit the Select Files to Install dialog box.
- Complete the Deployment Wizard to create your deployment.
Client installations performed from this deployment will now install your custom desktop shortcut and profile.