Using Content Center with Inventor® 10 and Autodesk Data Management Server 5
You want to use Content Center with Inventor® 10 and Autodesk Data Management Server 5.
If you are upgrading to Autodesk Data Management Server 5 while continuing to use Inventor® 10, you will not be able to use the Content Center libraries on the Autodesk Data Management Server 5 server. Autodesk Data Management Server 5 is the server-side software for Vault 5 and Productstream™ 5 as well as the server for the Content Center in Inventor® 11.
If you are currently using Inventor 10 with Vault 4, Productstream 4 or Productstream 4.5, you may choose to upgrade to Vault 5 or Productstream 5 while continuing to use Inventor 10. Upgrading to Vault 5 or Productstream 5 means you will have to upgrade to the Autodesk Data Management Server 5. While there is a Vault 5 client and a Productstream 5 client for Inventor 10 that enables access to Autodesk Data Management Server 5 (ADMS), the Content Center client in Inventor 10 is not compatible with ADMS 5.
If you upgrade Vault or Productstream, but remain on Inventor 10 for Content Center, you can use one of the following workarounds:
- Install a local Content Center instance for each Inventor 10 workstation (client).
- Install a supplemental Content Center server using ADMS 4, 4.1 or 4.5 depending on which version of Vault or Productstream is used before upgrading.
Because both of these alternatives involve a similar number of installation steps and resource requirements, it is strongly recommended that you choose the second option.
Deploying a supplemental Content Center server for Inventor 10 clients
Before you uninstall ADMS and upgrade to ADMS 5, you will have to perform the following tasks:
- To create a copy of each custom library, export the custom libraries using either the Content Center Library Manager in the program group for Inventor 10 (select each custom library and click Export) or the Content Center Library Manager in the Autodesk Data Management program group (select each custom library and click Export).
- The supplemental Content Center server can be installed on any machine on the network (other than the current ADMS server/machine). Note: Because this server will only contain Content Center libraries, the default version of Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) is sufficient. However, if you have extensive custom libraries, you may need to upgrade to a full version of Microsoft SQL Server (Enterprise, Standard or Workgroup editions).
- Before you install ADMS on the new server, confirm that Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed. If IIS is not installed, the Content Center libraries will not be available on the network. Note: If you install IIS, be sure to reboot the machine before installing ADMS.
- Install the same version of ADMS that you were using on the old server. Make sure you include the standard libraries (if applicable). The relevant products include, ADMS R4 (Vault 4), ADMS R4.1 (Productstream 4), and ADMS R4.5 (Productstream 4.5).
- Import the custom libraries into the new ADMS 5 server. Note: It is strongly recommended that you perform a backup of the new server once this step is completed.
- Using Inventor 10, configure your existing Inventor project files (IPJ) to access the new Content Center server.
Note: Connectivity issues may prevent access to the new Content Center server. To resolve this problem, check for firewalls, web services or other applications that could affect connectivity. If the problem persists, you should refer to technical solution TS86063 on the Autodesk Knowledge Base.
Upgrading to ADMS 5
- Back up your server. Optional: If your server environment contains existing Content Center libraries, local or shared, you may choose to delete them prior to upgrading to ADMS 5. Legacy standard libraries (from ADMS 4, 4.1 or 4.5) will be deleted during the upgrade becaues legacy standard libraries are not supported in ADMS 5. When ADMS 5 is installed, new standard libraries that are compatible with ADMS 5 are installed. Any custom libraries will be migrated during the upgrade. However, they will not be accessible from Inventor 10 after they are migrated into ADSM 5. When you upgrade to Inventor 11, it may be necessary to retrieve custom libraries (export/import) from the supplemental Content Center server.
- Upgrade the server to ADMS 5.
- Upgrade all Inventor 10 users to the Vault 5 client or Productstream 5 client depending on your setup.
- Inventor 10 users can log on to separate ADMS and Content Center servers. However, Inventor 11 users can only log on to a single server. When you upgrade to Inventor 11, it will be necessary to include the required standard and custom Content Center libraries on the same ADMS 5 server as Vault or Productstream. Custom libraries that have been modified in both ADMS 5 and prior versions cannot be merged. Special considerations need to be taken to ensure that the custom libraries on the ADMS 5 server and the supplemental ADMS Content Center server for 4, 4.1 or 4.5 are synchronized.