Why is the transparency setting in the viewports not saved?
After setting the Transparency setting to "Best" in the Viewport right-click menu, the Transparency setting has reverted to "Simple" when 3ds max is re-launched.
So 3ds max does not maintain the transparency setting?
This setting value is saved within scene files, per viewport. For instance, save your scene with your selected Transparency setting while working in D3D mode, then close 3ds max
Re-start 3ds max
and then check the transparency; if this is a standard installation of the software, it has been reset to 'Simple'. Now reload your scene file and check the transparency - your setting has been reloaded with the scene.
If a scene is saved in OpenGL/SZB with the 'Best' setting, it will show 'Simple' when loaded into Direct3D. Likewise, if it is saved in Direct3D with the 'Simple' setting, it will load into OpenGL/SZB with 'Best'.
If you want to start 3ds max
with a specific transparency setting for your preferred video mode (SZB, OpenGL, D3D), you can save a personalized version of the maxstart.max file; if you need a different maxstart.max file for each video mode, you may want to:
- Create appropriated versions for all video modes
- Save them to different directories
- Create a 3dsmax.ini file for each video mode
- In each of above .ini files, in the [Directories] section, change each line starting with "MaxStart=..." to match the correspondent directory
- Create a 3ds max start icon for each video mode, adding option "-i" to the command line to invoke its relative .ini file.