You would like to know how to use the network license time-out feature.
The Network License Manager can be configured to reclaim a license when a client workstation is idle for longer than a defined time-out period*, or the connection with the workstation is lost.
*This option is not applicable to AutoCAD 2002 based products.
Any of the following activity in the active application prevents the client workstation from being idle:
- Any keystroke.
- Any mouse click.
- Any command, Lisp expression, menu macro or script in progress.
- Any Modal dialog box opened (a dialog box which needs to close before continuing to other tasks).
Note: Using the Help system does not keep the session active.
Configuring License Time-out
License time-out is configured by implementing an options file with the Network License Manager. For a detailed explanation of options files, please refer to the FLEXlm End User Guide, located by default on the network license server in the following directory:
\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\Docs\FlexUser
A brief explanation of options files is provided below:
- Options files are created with an ASCII text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad.
- Keyword statements are used in an options file to configure various operating parameters of the Network License Manager.
- The options file must be named adskflex.opt.
- The options file must be located in the same folder as the Autodesk product license file.
- All text in an options file is case sensitive.
- The options file is read each time the license manager is started or the license file is reread.
License time-out is configured in an options file by using the TIMEOUT keyword.
The syntax is: TIMEOUT [feature] [n], where:
- [feature] specifies the application you want to control. The feature code can be found in the license file, right after the word INCREMENT.
- [n] is the number of seconds before the license server reclaims an inactive license. The minimum value is 900.
Example: TIMEOUT 48800ACD_2006_0F 3600
This line in an options file would configure the Network License Manager to reclaim an AutoCAD 2006 license (feature code 48800ACD_2006_0F), if the client machine was idle for 3600 seconds (one hour).
License Time-out Behavior
If your license is lost because of the idle time-out, the product attempts to claim a new license once you access the product again. If a license is available, the client pulls a new license and continues the session. If no license is available, you will be prompted to save your work before the product shuts down.
Note: The debug log file can be examined to determine if a license has been reclaimed. When a license has been reclaimed, the debug log file will contain a line similar to:
11:43 (adskflex) IN feature user_name@host_name (INACTIVE)