Error: DWG file is currently in use or is read-only
When you try to open a drawing the following message is displayed:
\drawing directory\drawing.dwg is currently in use or is read-only. Would you like to open the file read-only?[Yes] [No]
However, you know that the drawing is not in use. Sometimes, if you click No and try again to open the drawing, the drawing opens.
When this behavior is intermittent, the cause is often a network timing issue. If this behavior occurs consistently, the cause is probably incompatible or improperly configured network software.
Unlike many other software programs, the Save function in AutoCAD involves releasing locks from files and either deleting or renaming them. The read-only error can occur if a request to rename or delete the original file arrives before the file lock is removed.
There are several potential causes for this problem:
- Client computers that are significantly faster than the server
- Virus software configuration
- Heavy network traffic
- Server is overloaded with other tasks at the time of the problem
- Outdated network adapter drivers
- Incorrect network adapter driver settings
- Intermittent connectivity (switch, hub, router, cable)
Suggestions for resolving this problem:
- Upgrade the server.
- Put the file server on the same subnet as the client machines.
- Use a dedicated file server.
- Update network adapter drivers.
- Verify that all network settings are correct.
- Exclude real-time file scanning of Autodesk files types on the server.
- If using third-party network software, ensure that it is up-to-date.
- Ensure that the drawing is not set as read-only.
- Ensure that the drawing is not in use by somebody else.