There are two directories used by Autodesk Simulation Moldflow Insight for projects, models, and analyses. These two directories are the project directory and the temporary directory. They store and organize data, as well as transfer information during analyses, and also with the UI to display results both during the analysis and once it's completed.
The project directory is the default location in which new projects are created, as well as the directory that is defaulted to when using the "Open" option. Both of these options can be changed on a per case basis, but of course it is far more efficient to do so as a default. The other primary use of the project directory is storage. Not to diminish the impact of space on the temporary directory, it is more important in the project directory as these files typically are stored for longer than a few days.
The temporary directory is a directory in which relevant files are copied to run an analysis. This helps streamline the analyses process by offloading the necessary files to run the analysis to the appropriate directory and run directly out of that directory. The most important use of this directory is access, via both access rates as well as security protocols. The longer it takes to transfer the data to and from the temporary directory, the longer the total analysis time will take. Space is also important, but as the temporary will delete files every 7 days, it is less important than for the project directory.
Now that we have a better understanding of each directory, it is important to understand where each is located by default, and the process for changing each after installation.
- Project Directory - C:\Users\username\My Documents\My ASMI 20XX Projects
- Temporary Directory - C:\ASMI 20XX Temporary Files
Each directory can be modified though from these default locations, and to do so is different for each. The access point for the project directory is in the User Interface options. The access point for the temporary directory is through the job manager, this is because the job manager is what communicates directly with the temporary directory. Refer below for the process to change each;
Changing the Project Directory
1. Access the options for the user interface via Start>Options (Ribbon) or File>Options (Classic)
2. Navigate to the Directories tab
3. Choose the browse button for the project directory path
4. Select the appropriate directory you'd like as your project directory (best if created before assigning it)
5. Click Apply and then OK on the main options page
This new specification will be routed to when opening projects, as well as be the default location for newly created projects. You can confirm this location via the registry as well. The registry key for the project directory is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Moldflow Insight\20XX\Environment\MFSYN_USER_HOME. The value for that variable relates to the project directory and should reflect any changes made.
Changing the Temporary Directory
1. Open the Job Manager (ctrl+J) under the Ribbon
2. Choose the appropriate machine (localhost in most cases) and choose the Properties button
3. Select the browse option next to the temporary path
4. Select the appropriate directory (best if created before hand) and choose OK
5. Close the Job Manager
Again, like the project directory, the temporary directory has now been routed to the specified directory. This can also be confirmed in the registry via a specific registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Moldflow Insight\20XX\Environment\MFSYN_TMP