How to add multiple updates to a deployment of an AutoCAD 2011 product
You need to create or modify a deployment of an AutoCAD 2011 product such that it includes the latest update plus all previous updates.
Unlike previous releases, Update 2 for AutoCAD 2011 products do not include the fixes from the previous 2011 updates. This means that you must install the previous update before installing Update 2. It also presents a new workflow when creating deployments where you now have to include multiple updates in a deployment at the same time.
Note: AutoCAD 2011 Update 1 was subsequently replaced by Update 1.1. For simplicity, when this solution specifies Update 1, it is referring to Update 1.1 for AutoCAD 2011 and Update 1 for all other AutoCAD 2011 products.
Creating an AutoCAD 2011 product deployment with Update 1 and Update 2
- Using the table above, download both Update 1 and Update 2 for your AutoCAD product from the Autodesk website.
- Open a Windows command prompt and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the update files.
- Extract the MSP files from the executables by entering the update file name followed by the /e switch and a target file name. For example:
AutoCAD2011Update2.exe /e .\AutoCAD2011Update2.msp
AutoCAD2011Update1.1.exe /e .\AutoCAD2011Update1.1.msp
ACM2011Update2.exe /e .\ACM2011Update2.msp
ACM2011Update1.exe /e .\ ACM2011Update1.msp
- Launch the AutoCAD 2011 product installer and click “Create Deployments”.
- Enter all of the information as you would for a typical deployment.
- On the “Create Deployment” page, click the “Configure” button.
- Click the “Next” button to get to the “Include Service Pack” page.
Warning: If you are modifying an existing deployment and the “Merge the Service Packs into the administration image MSI file” is selected and grayed out, the Administrative image was creating using the “Merge Service Packs” option. You cannot add updates to this deployment and have new updates installed with the deployment. You must create a new Administrative image in a different folder.
- Select the option for “Include Service Pack(s) from local drive or local network”.
- Click the “Add...” button, and select the Update 1 MSP file you extracted.
- Repeat, using the “Add...” button to select the Update 2 MSP file (Update 2 cannot be added without Update 1).
If you are creating a new deployment, you may use either of these options:
Click “Next” when you are done adding the Service Packs.
Continue to create or modify the deployment as described in the documentation.
Existing Deployments of an AutoCAD 2011 product
- It is not possible to add Update 2 to an existing deployment containing Update 1 if it was created using the "Merge the Service Packs into the administration image MSI file" option. In this case you must create a new "Merged" deployment and administrative image containing both Update 1 and 2 in a new shared folder.
- If you have an existing deployment of an AutoCAD 2011 product that already includes Update 1, AND was created with the "Append the Service Packs onto the deployment" option, you can use the "Create & modify a deployment" shortcut to add Update 2 to that deployment.
- If you have an existing deployment of an AutoCAD 2011 product that does not contain any updates, you can use the "Append the Service Packs onto the deployment" option to add Update 1 and Update 2, using the "Create & modify a deployment" shortcut to modify the deployment.
Modifying a Deployment
Note: These instructions assume you are modifying an existing deployment of an AutoCAD 2011 product that either has no updates or only has Update 1 previously appended.
- Download and extract the MSP files for Update 1 and/or Update 2 as previously described in steps 1-3.
- Open the shared network folder where you originally chose to place your product deployment.
- In the Tools folder, double-click the "Create & Modify a Deployment" shortcut.
- Choose "Modify an existing deployment" and click "Next" until you reach the "Create Deployment" page.
- Click the "Configure" button and click "Next" until you reach the “Include Service Pack” page.
- Click the "Add..." button, and select the MSP files to be added to the deployment.
- If you are adding updates to the deployment for the first time, select the "Append the Service Packs onto the deployment" option. If you wish to use the "Merge" option, you must create a new deployment.
Continue to modify the deployment as described in the documentation.