Frequently Asked Questions
1. What versions of ObjectARX are available?
You can download ObjectARX® software for the latest three releases of AutoCAD® and AutoCAD® for Mac® software products.
2. How do I get the ObjectARX software development kit (SDK)?
The complete ObjectARX SDK and license agreement are available for download at no charge. The SDK is not available on a CD.
3. What is the difference between RealDWG and ObjectARX for AutoCAD?
The RealDWG™ application is a subset of ObjectARX and contains the APIs for reading and writing DWG™ and DXF™ files. RealDWG does not contain support for viewing and accessing the AutoCAD user interface.
ObjectARX applications always require AutoCAD as their host application. RealDWG does not require the presence of AutoCAD software. RealDWG can be used to create independent host applications. ObjectARX cannot.
4. What documentation is available for developing applications in ObjectARX?
The following publications are included with the ObjectARX SDK:
- Managed Class Reference
- ObjectARX Developer’s Guide
- ObjectARX Reference
- Application Interoperability Guidelines
- ObjectARX 64-bit Migration Guide
Links to other valuable developer reference materials are listed at www.autodesk.com/developautocad.
6. Do I have to rebuild my older AutoCAD applications to work on the latest version of AutoCAD?
Yes. ObjectARX for AutoCAD 2015 breaks binary compatibility with prior ObjectARX versions. Applications developed for versions older than 2015 must be recompiled with current ObjectARX libraries to be compatible with the current version of AutoCAD. Applications built with ObjectARX for the current version of AutoCAD will not work on older AutoCAD releases. Note that the DWG format has not been changed in this release.