Frequently Asked Questions
1. What versions of ObjectARX are available?
You can download ObjectARX® software for the previous 3 releases of AutoCAD® and AutoCAD® for Mac® software products.
2. How do I get the ObjectARX software development kit (SDK)?
The complete ObjectARX SDK and license agreement are available for download at no charge. The SDK is not available on a CD.
3. What is the difference between RealDWG and ObjectARX for AutoCAD?
The RealDWG™ application is a subset of ObjectARX and contains the APIs for reading and writing DWG™ and DXF™ files. RealDWG does not contain support for viewing and accessing the AutoCAD user interface.
ObjectARX applications always require AutoCAD as their host application. RealDWG does not require the presence of AutoCAD software. RealDWG can be used to create independent host applications. ObjectARX cannot.
4. What documentation is available for developing applications in ObjectARX?
The following publications are included with the ObjectARX SDK:
- Managed Class Reference
- ObjectARX Developer’s Guide
- ObjectARX Reference
- Application Interoperability Guidelines
- ObjectARX 64-bit Migration Guide
Find other valuable developer reference materials through the Autodesk Developer Network (ADN).
5. Is developer support or training available for ObjectARX?
Yes. Training for ObjectARX, as well as for many other AutoCAD APIs, is provided by the Autodesk Developer Network (ADN). Visit the API training page to view our current schedule or to request training. If you are already familiar with developing C++ applications, the ObjectARX Labs provide a set of tutorial exercises to guide you through development of an ObjectARX application.
6. Do I have to rebuild my older AutoCAD applications to work on the latest version of AutoCAD?
No. The current version of AutoCAD is binary compatible with the previous DWG format. Applications built with ObjectARX for AutoCAD 2013 will work with the latest version of Autodesk AutoCAD 2014. Applications developed for DWG formats older than AutoCAD 2013 must be recompiled with current ObjectARX libraries to be compatible with the current version of AutoCAD. Applications built with ObjectARX for the current version of AutoCAD will not work on older AutoCAD releases.