Autodesk App Store - Desktop App Submission Process Overview
Please read through this information before and while submitting your first app to the Autodesk App store. It explains the basic workflow and provides some additional information to make publishing your app as easy as possible.
Submitting an app
- Before submitting your app, we recommend you collect the information you’ll need. Use the App submissions – required information document as a template and checklist.
- To start your app submission, click on the link displayed on the Autodesk App storefront:
- You will be asked to login using your Autodesk Single-Sign-On account if you’re not already logged in.
Once you sign in, you will then be taken to a page showing the Publisher Corner and you can edit each field by clicking on the edit icon next to it. Information in Publisher Settings in the Publisher Corner applies to all apps you publish. If you edit this in one app, it will change for all of them.
- In the Publisher Information section, the email address you provide will be used to send you automated email notifications when your app is downloaded, and where we will contact you for any additional information we need while reviewing your app. Also, provide the support contact where end users can contact you for support .After entering your information ‘save’ your settings.
- If your App is a paid App you have a choice of using BlueSnap (an international payment gateway used by some Autodesk product groups) or PayPal. You will need to add either required BlueSnap information or a PayPal email address. If you have any questions about which platform to choose please contact email@example.com.
- To setup a BlueSnap account, please go through the steps outlined in the Blue Snap Guidelines.
- For PayPal you should have either a PayPal Business Account or a Premier Account. Refer to this additional documentation for PayPal account settings required for the Autodesk App Store. Note: If you choose to use PayPal, please make sure you use your master PayPal email address as 'PayPal account' in Autodesk App Store.
- Save your BlueSnap or PayPal settings. If you have implemented the IPN Handler to take an action in response to IPN messages received from Autodesk App Store, you can provide that valid IPN Listener URL. (See the ADN IPN Example). Also, if you wish to receive the IPN notifications for Free and Trials apps you can select the relevant option according to the app type (i.e. Free or Trial). Save your IPN listener URL settings.
- In the Download notification section, you can set how frequently you want to receive the app download notifications. Save the settings.
The 'My Page' section in Publisher Corner allows the publisher to customize his/her own page that will be displayed to Autodesk App Store end users. This is your opportunity to market your company, your experience and your consulting services. Treat it like a short brochure. Add your company logo and arrange your apps in whatever format you like.
To add the company logo, click on the company logo and the edit option will appear. Click on this and you will see the “Edit company logo” pop-up appear.
- Click on ‘Upload an image’ and you will get an option to browse and select the logo, then click on ‘open’. Once the image is uploaded the preview of the image will be displayed. If you are satisfied with the logo click on ‘ok’ or if you want re-upload an image to click on ‘Upload an image’ and upload an image again.
- To add the company name and company information click on the company name edit option and add company name and information about your company then ‘Save’ the information.
Publish a New Product
- After completing the ‘My Page’ click ‘Publish a New Product’ to proceed. Next you will see some publishing information and a publisher agreement. Make sure you read this information carefully and click “I agree” to accept the agreement. Click the Continue button to move to the publish workflow.
- Select the type of the app you plan to submit .i.e. Desktop based
- Select the Operating system for the app.
Note: If you have different bundle/installer for each operating system, you need to add the app submission information again by using ‘Add new OS/language version’ for the respective operating system(s) that the app supports. Using the clone option available in the app detail page, most of the details are prepopulated from your first submission of the app, therefore you can quickly submit the app for a different operating system and language.
- Select the language for the app and Click on Continue.
- You can use the Save as Draft button to save your app submission so you can continue it later. You can access your app at any time from the Publisher Corner screen – see 'Editing an existing app'.
App Submission Form
- Enter information for your app in the textboxes on the form.
- The App Description textbox allows long descriptions (i.e. 4000 characters). This is where you should include a detailed description of your app. Customers will read this section to see if your App is worth buying/downloading. If your app is a trial version you must include information here on the type of trial or limitations of the trial.
- Also, in App Description textbox you can use formatting and bullets and include links to your company websites or videos. For hyperlinks, type the URL and select the URL and using Insert/Edit link option make the URL hyperlinked. If you have both a trial and paid app version in the store you can link between the pages.
- Desktop Based App: To upload your app files, click the Choose File button and select your file in the dialog that appears. If your file size is very large then you can upload the file in any of the cloud storages (Dropbox, Box, etc.) and share that link using 'File link' option instead of uploading the file in Autodesk App Store directly.
- Your App File is your installer, your zipped app files, or PDF files.
If you are supporting multiple languages in a single bundle/installer then upload the same file while submitting for each language.
- Please also upload PDF files unzipped.
- App Icon : This is the icon displayed on the store to represent your app. A quality and professional looking icon is very important and should be treated as a key marketing tool. Your icon is the first impression a customer will have about your app. Icons should be pictorial and convey a concept about your app. There is no need to put the name of your company or the name of the app on the icon as both are displayed next to the icon.
Icons that are too small, not legible, or do not have a border/are framed will not be considered.
- We recommend 120x120 pixels for your icon.
- If you’re looking for a free icon editing tool, then you might consider GIMP, Paint.NET or something similar.
Refer to Icon Guidelines and Template for guidance and specifications.
- Add up to 10 App Screenshots. Adding screenshots is a good way to showcase your app. Once you’ve uploaded each image, a text box will appear in which you should enter the text that will accompany the screenshot. Screenshot images will be scaled to fit the views that Autodesk App Store supports for screenshots. Recommended maximum image size and dimensions: 2000 pixels wide x 2000 pixels high, DPI: 96 or 72 pixels per inch (PPI), maximum file size 20MB.
- It is recommended that you also add your app demo videos posted in Autodesk Screencast or posted in YouTube.
- Select Certifications, if your app is already certified Autodesk (Note: Currently, this certification is applicable to Inventor, Vault and Simulation apps only.)
- Enter the information for your app that we can use to create a standard format quick start helpfile. This will be included with your app. It is very important that you provide enough information about your app so that end users can easily use your app.
- If you’re using our standard installer template (i.e. we are creating the installer for you) just write ‘standard text’ in the Installation/Uninstallation textbox, and we’ll substitute the correct text for you when we review your app.
- The Support Information textbox must include details on how a customer can contact you for support (e.g. email this email address, or visit this webpage).
Click Continue to proceed.
- If you set a Price, the value you enter must be numeric only (i.e. don’t use $, £, ¥, €, etc.). All prices are in US Dollars.
- Note: You will not be able to change the payment type once "Subscription" is selected.
- Select “Subscription” if customer must pay a subscription price to have access to the app/webservice for a definite period of time. After the expiry of subscription date customers will be charged the fee monthly/Annual unless they take action to cancel.
- Also, you can offer free 30-day trial for your Paid or Subscription apps. Note: Your app needs to have Autodesk App Store Entitlement API integrated to enable this.
- Click on the ‘down arrow’ symbols to extend a product family list.
- Select all the Autodesk products your app is compatible with.
- If a product isn’t listed here, then it means that it is not supported by the store at this time. Please contact us for information on unlisted products you’re interested in.
Marking your app as compatible with a product means that:
You have tested your app with that product
You are able to support customers using your app with that product.
AutoCAD means ‘vanilla’ AutoCAD only. It does not include an AutoCAD vertical running its ‘vanilla’ profile.
- A list of Categories will be displayed for each Product you have selected under the Compatibility.
- Select up to 4 categories that apply to your application for each product it is compatible with, and add a custom category if needed.
- Don’t spam customers by selecting Categories that are not relevant to your app.
Click Continue to proceed.
App Summary Screen
- This is a summary of the information you entered about your app.
- Click the Preview Button to open a new browser tab showing how your app will look in the store.
- Use the Back button to go back through the workflow to change any information that you don’t like in the Preview.
Click the Continue button if you’re happy with the Preview.
- Click the Submit button to complete the app submission.
- Use the Add new language version/Clone button to add new supported language for the app.
- Use the Delete the app button to completely delete all language versions of the app
- App ID: You will require this unique id for your app, if you are utilizing the Entitlement API offered by Autodesk App Store in your app
You should be contacted by an app reviewer within two weeks of submitting your app. Please email AppSubmissions@autodesk.com if you have not heard from us within that time.
Arranging Apps in Widget
In ‘My Page’, you can arrange apps using widgets. For example you can arrange apps based on Price type like Free, Trial, Paid or Subscription or based on Autodesk Products that the apps are supporting. The default setting is all apps are under ‘All Apps’ widget
• To arrange the app, click on ‘Edit’ option next to ‘All apps’ widget
• Click on ‘Add Widget’ to add the new widget
• Add a name to the widget then drag and drop the apps from ‘All Apps’ widget. Similarly you can add few more widgets and arrange apps in the widget. Once you are done with arranging apps in the widget, click on ‘Save’ button.
• In editing mode of widget, you can drag and drop apps across widgets and to remove an app from the widget, click on the close button of the app.
• Note: The apps in the ‘Available apps’ list will not be displayed on the Publisher’s profile page.
The app has to be in any one of the widgets added by you or in the default widget ‘All Apps’
• To delete the widget, just click on ‘Delete Widget’ option next to the widget. Once you delete the widget, the apps in the widgets will be moved to ‘Available Apps’ list.
• Once you have arranged the apps in widgets, you can add the consulting services you offer. To add the services click on edit option provided and select the consulting service then Save the changes.
• To see how your Publisher Profile page will appear to customers go to any app detail page of your apps and click on the company name.
Access & receive download information
You have choices in how you receive download information. In addition to receiving download notifications via email, once the app is published you can go to "Publisher Corner" and navigate to apps tab, then under the apps go to Published apps. By clicking on ‘Email me Download Records’ you can receive a CSV reports of all your apps in a zip file.
You can also access your download information at any time. To download the CSV file for each app, click on ‘Statistics' and then click on ‘Export Download Record’
Editing an existing app
- Go to http://apps.autodesk.com/ and you will then be prompted to log in using your Autodesk Single Sign On account. (If you have not signed in).
- Navigate to Apps tabs then ‘Published’ or ‘Unpublished’ apps tab.
- To edit, use Manage button corresponding to your application as shown below.
- Use Edit button to edit the corresponding language version shown below.
- If you want to unpublish an app for a particular language from store then click on Unpublish button under actions for corresponding language.
- Use Unpublish the app button to take all versions of the app offline from the store. Once you unpublish the app it will be moved to Unpublished apps tab.
- Use Delete button under actions to delete the corresponding language version shown below (this option is available only if app is unpublished). Note: once you perform this action you will not be able to retrieve the information.
- Use Delete the app button to delete the app completely from the store. Note: once you perform this action you will not be able to retrieve the information.
- Use Clone button to add new supported language for the app.
When you update an app there are two possible scenarios:
1. If you update only the app description the updated content is Auto Published without review by Autodesk. Exceptions to this include a modification to your actual file uploaded or a change in the price type – e.g. from trial/free to paid or change to product (version) compatibility or change in the Payment Platform (i.e. BlueSnap to PayPal or Vice-versa).
2. Modifications as noted above that require review. When you update an app your existing version will remain in the store until it is reviewed and replaced with the updated version. To update an app, login and go to Apps tab then Published apps tab.
Click the Manage the app and click edit button to move to the publishing workflow.
- To upload updated files:
- Click the Remove button.
- Click the Choose Files button and select your file in the dialog that appears.
- Update only the information you wish to change.
- Once the updated app is submitted for review, the app will have two versions - a "live" version and an "Edited" version.
Adding Entitlement for a customer
For paid apps that are live, you can grant/add entitlement for a customer to enable them to download the app without purchasing it.
Please go to https://apps.autodesk.com/ and login using your credentials.
Navigate to Apps tab and then Published Apps tab. Click on ‘Manage’ next to the app for which you want to provide access to customer.
In app details page, click on ‘Download Entitlement Management’ then click on ‘Add’
Add the email address of the customer and select the quantity then click ‘ok’.
At any point of time you can remove the entitlement by using option ‘Delete’.
Binding Feature on Autodesk App Store:
Using the binding feature, you can provide an option for the user to download an app for free when they purchase another app. You can do this by grouping the Apps in the ‘publisher corner’ section of Autodesk App Store. Note: This feature is available only for binding paid apps which are live in the Autodesk App Store. We anticipate that this feature will be primarily used when releasing a new version of your app, when you want customers who own your old app to get the new version for free or customers buying the new version to get the old version for free.
To bind apps:-
Go to https://apps.autodesk.com/MyUploads
Navigate to Apps tab and Click on ‘Download Entitlement Group’
Click on ‘Add Group’
Click on newly added group, on New Group under Group Name, and then you’ll get an option to edit the name of the group.
After adding the name click on the check mark next to it. This will save the new group name.
Click on the blank field under Apps column and you’ll get an option to edit.
When you click on edit option, a popup window appears with a list of paid apps which are live in the store.
Select the apps you want to bind and click on ‘Ok’ option.
Now, you can see the apps which are grouped together in the Apps column.
At any point of time you can unbind these apps by deleting the group using option ‘Delete’.
As a publisher you can test to see if your apps download correctly and test that the purchase flow for a paid app is working correctly.
Please go to
Navigate to Apps tab and Click on the ‘Unpublished’ tab and click on the Appname. This will open the preview page of the app.
On the preview page, click on ‘Download Now’ button to verify if the file downloads correctly.
To verify the purchase flow click on the ‘Test Purchase’ button. This will redirect the app preview page to the selected payment gateway i.e. BlueSnap or PayPal.
Note: As a purchase requires a monetary value, for this test purchase you will be making a payment of USD 0.01 ($0.01) though the actual amount of the app is different.
Once you make the payment of $0.01, you will be redirected back to app preview page where you can see the test results like the screenshot below.
If the test result fails you need to verify if the payment options are setup correctly.
Also, if you have setup IPN listener URL then you should check if you received the proper response for ‘ValidateIPN’ property.
The ADN team is here to help you be a successful publisher on Autodesk App Store. We’ll do whatever we can do to help you. You are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions after reviewing these guidelines and the other documentation on www.autodesk.com/developapps.
Thank you for participating on Autodesk App Store.