Autodesk Exchange Apps - App Submission Process Overview
Please read through this information before and while submitting your first app to the Exchange store. It explains the basic workflow and provides some additional information to make publishing your app as easy as possible.
Submitting an app
To start your app submission, click on the link displayed on the Exchange storefront:
You will be asked to login using your Autodesk Single-Sign-On account if you’re not already logged in.
Once you sign in, you will then be taken to a page showing the publisher profile.
- The Publisher Contact Information is the email address we will use to send you automated email notifications when your app is downloaded, and where we will contact you for any additional information we need while reviewing your app.
- If your App is a paid App then you will have to add a PayPal email address. You should have either a PayPal Business Account or a Premier Account. Refer to this additional documentation for PayPal account settings required for the Exchange store.
- If you have implemented the IPN Handler to take action in response to IPN messages receive from Exchange Store, you can provide that valid IPN Listener URL. (You can take a look at the ADN IPN Example)
- The Publisher Contact Information and PayPal Email for Payments apply to all apps you publish. If you edit this in one app, it will change for all of them. Note: Please make sure to use your master PayPal email address as 'PayPal account' in Autodesk Exchange store.
Save Publisher profile and click ‘Publish a New Product’ to proceed.
You will then be taken to a page showing some publishing information and a publisher agreement. Make sure you read this information carefully and click “I agree” to accept the agreement. Then click the Continue button to move to the publish workflow.
- Select the type of the app you are going to submit .i.e. Desktop based or browser based app
- Browser based app: Customer can use your app that runs in a Web browser without having to install it on a local hard drive.
- Select the Operating system for the app from the dropdown list.
Note: If you have different bundle/installer for each operating system, you need to add the app submission information again by using ‘Add new OS/language version’ for respective operating system that app supports.
- Select the language for the app from the dropdown list.
Use the Save as Draft button to save your app submission so you can continue it later. You can access your app later from the My Uploads screen – see 'Editing an existing app'.
App Submission Form
- Enter information for your app in the textboxes on the form.
- The App Description textbox allows long descriptions (i.e. 4000 characters). This is where you should include a detailed description of your app. Customers will read this section to see if your App is worth buying/downloading. If your app is a trial version you must include information here on the type of trial or limitations of the trial.
- Also, in App Description textbox you can use formatting and bullets and include links to your company websites or videos. For hyperlinks, type the URL and select the URL and using Insert/Edit link option make the URL hyperlinked. If you have both a trial and paid app version in the store you can link between the pages.
- Desktop Based App: To upload your app files, click the Choose File button and select your file in the dialog that appears. Browser Based App: Enter the Web service URL of your app.
- Your App File is your installer, your zipped app files, or PDF files.
If you are supporting multiple languages in a single bundle/installer then upload the same file while submitting for each language.
- Please also upload PDF files unzipped.
- Your App Icon is the icon displayed on the store to represent your app. Quality icons are very important as the icon is the first impression the customer gets. Icons should be pictorial and convey a concept about your app. There is no need to put the name of your company or the name of the app on the icon.
Icons that are too small, not legible, or do not have a border/are framed will not be considered.
- We recommend 80x80 pixels for your Logo.
- If you’re looking for a free icon editing tool, then you might consider GIMP, Paint.NET or something similar.
Refer to Icon Guidelines and Template for guidance and specifications.
- Add up to 10 App Screenshots. Adding screenshots is a good way to showcase your app. Once you’ve uploaded each image, a text box will appear in which you should enter the text that will accompany the screenshot. Screenshot images will be scaled to fit the views that Exchange supports for screenshots. Recommended maximum image size and dimensions: 2000 pixels wide x 2000 pixels high, DPI: 96 or 72 pixels per inch (PPI), maximum file size 20MB.
- Select Certifications, if your app is already certified Autodesk (Note: Currently, this certification is applicable to Inventor, Vault and Simulation apps only.)
- Enter the information for your app that we can use to create a standard format quick start helpfile. This will be shipped with your app and also displayed on the store (this feature is to be implemented).- It is very important that you provide enough information about your app so that end users can easily use your app.
- If you’re using our standard installer template (i.e. we are creating the installer for you) then just write ‘standard text’ in the Installation/Uninstallation textbox, and we’ll substitute the correct text for you when we review your app.
- In the Author/Company Information textbox, please include information you would like users to know about the company or people who created this product. This section is a great way to promote your company and your services – provide a brief description to highlight your experience or expertise.
- The Support Information textbox must include details on how a customer can contact you for support (e.g. email this email address, or visit this webpage).
Click Continue to proceed.
- It is highly recommended that you include a web URL.
- If you set a Price, the value you enter must be numeric only (i.e. don’t use $, £, ¥, €, etc.). All prices are in US Dollars.
- Note: You will not be able to change the payment type once "Monthly recurring subscription(USD)" is selected.
- Select “Monthly recurring subscription” if customer must pay a subscription price to have access to the app/webservice for a definite period of time. After the expiry of subscription date customers will be charged the fee monthly unless they take action to cancel.
- For Browser Based App you need to select the appropriate login type i.e. how an end user can login to your Web service?.
- Click on the ‘down arrow’ symbols to extend a product family list.
- Select all the Autodesk products your app is compatible with.
- If a product isn’t listed here, then it means that it is not supported by the store at this time. Please contact us for information on unlisted products you’re interested in.
Marking your app as compatible with a product means that:
You have tested your app with that product
You are able to support customers using your app with that product.
AutoCAD means ‘vanilla’ AutoCAD only. It does not include an AutoCAD vertical running its ‘vanilla’ profile.
- A list of Categories will be displayed for each Product you have selected under the Compatibility.
- Select up to 4 categories that apply to your application for each product it is compatible with, and add a custom category if needed.
- Don’t spam customers by selecting Categories that are not relevant to your app.
Click Continue to proceed.
App Summary Screen
- This is a summary of the information you entered about your app.
- Click the Preview Button to open a new browser tab showing how your app will look in the store.
- Use the Back button to go back through the workflow to change any information that you don’t like in the Preview.
Click the Finish button if you’re happy with the Preview.
- Click the Submit button to complete the app submission.
- Use the Add new language version/Clone button to add new supported language for the app.
- Use the Delete the app button to completely delete all language versions of the app
You should be contacted by an app reviewer within two weeks of submitting your app. Please email AppSubmissions@autodesk.com if you have not heard from us within that time.
Access download information
In addition to receiving download notifications via email, once the app is published you can go to "My Uploads" and you will see a column with a number by clicking on that number you can download a CSV report for that particular app. By clicking on ‘Download Records’ you can download a CSV reports of all your apps in a zip file.
Using Notification Settings you can set how frequently you want to receive the app downloaded notification.
Editing an existing app
- You will then be prompted to log in using your Autodesk Single Sign On account.
- To edit, use Manage button corresponding to your application as shown below.
- Use Edit button to edit the corresponding language version shown below.
- Use Delete button to delete the corresponding language version shown below.
When you update an app your existing version will remain in the store until it is reviewed and replaced with the updated version. To update an app, login and go to My Uploads via the upward pointing arrow in the top right side of the screen.
Click the Manage the app and click edit button to move to the publishing workflow.
- To upload updated files:
- Click the Remove button.
- Click the Choose Files button and select your file in the dialog that appears.
- Update only the information you wish to change.
- Once the updated app is submitted for review, the app will have two versions - a "live" version and an "Edited" version.
Note: When you update the content the updated content is Auto Published without review by Autodesk except in following scenarios when there is a modification to your actual file uploaded or when there is a change in the price type from trial/free to paid or change to product (version) compatibility.
The ADN team is here to help you be a successful publisher on Autodesk Exchange store. We’ll do whatever we can do to help you. You are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions after reviewing these guidelines and the other documentation on www.autodesk.com/developapps.
Thank you for participating on Autodesk Exchange Apps.