Autodesk Exchange Apps - App Submission Process Overview
Please read through this information before and while submitting your first app to the Exchange store. It explains the basic workflow and provides some additional information to make publishing your app as easy as possible.
Submitting an app
To start your app submission, click on the link displayed on the Exchange storefront:
You will then be taken to a page showing some publishing information and a publisher agreement. Make sure you read this information carefully and click to accept the agreement. Then click the Continue button to move to the publish workflow. (You will be asked to login using your Autodesk Single-Sign-On account if you’re not already logged in):
- The Publisher Contact Information is the email address we will use to send you automated email notifications when your app is downloaded, and where we will contact you for any additional information we need while reviewing your app.
- If your App is a paid App then you will have to add a PayPal email address. You should have either a PayPal Business Account or a Premier Account. Refer to this additional documentation for PayPal account settings required for the Exchange store.
- The Publisher Contact Information and PayPal Email for Payments apply to all apps you publish. If you edit this in one app, it will change for all of them.
Save Publisher profile and click ‘Publish a New Product’ to proceed.
Use the Save as Draft button to save your app submission so you can continue it later. You can access your app later from the My Uploads screen – see 'Editing an existing app'.
App Submission Form
- Enter information for your app in the textboxes on the form.
- The App Description textbox allows long descriptions (i.e. 4000 characters). This is where you should include a detailed description of your app. Customers will read this section to see if your App is worth buying/downloading. If your app is a trial version you must include information here on the type of trial or limitations of the trial.
- Also, in App Description textbox you can use formatting and bullets and include links to your company websites or videos. For hyperlinks, type the URL/hyperlink in Microsoft Word. Copy the url and paste it in the app description http://www.autodesk.com. If you have both a trial and paid app version in the store you can link between the pages.
- To upload your app files, click the Choose File button and select your file in the dialog that appears.
- Your App File is your installer, your zipped app files, or PDF files.
- If we have already provided you with an MSI installer file for your app, please upload the MSI directly – do not zip it first.
- Please also upload PDF files unzipped.
Your App Logo is the icon displayed on the store to represent your app. Quality icons are very important.
Icons that are too small, not legible, or do not have a border/are framed will not be considered.
- We recommend 80x80 pixels for your Logo.
- If you’re looking for a free icon editing tool, then you might consider GIMP, Paint.NET or something similar.
Refer to Icon Guidelines and Template for guidance and specifications.
Add up to 10 App Screenshots. Once you’ve uploaded each image, a text box will appear in which you should enter the text that will accompany the screenshot. Screenshot images will be scaled to fit the views that Exchange supports for screenshots. Recommended maximum image size and dimensions: 2000 pixels wide x 2000 pixels high, DPI: 96 or 72 pixels per inch (PPI), maximum file size 20MB.
- Enter the information for your app that we can use to create a standard format quick start helpfile. This will be shipped with your app and displayed on the store (not yet implemented).
- If you’re using our standard installer template (i.e. we are creating the installer for you) then just write ‘standard text’ in the Installation/Uninstallation textbox, and we’ll substitute the correct text for you when we review your app.
- In the Author/Company Information textbox, please include information you would like users to know about the company or people who created this product. This must include details on how a customer can contact you for support (e.g. email this email address, or visit this webpage).
Click Continue to proceed.
- It is highly recommended that you include a web URL. Without a URL the app installer cannot be digitally signed which means the app installer will not be marked as trusted. This could impact a customer's decision to install the app.
- If you set a Price, the value you enter must be numeric only (i.e. don’t use $, £, ¥, €, etc.). All prices are in US Dollars.
- Click on the ‘down arrow’ symbols to extend a product family list.
- Select all the Autodesk products your app is compatible with.
- If a product isn’t listed here, then it means that it is not supported by the store at this time. Please contact us for information on unlisted products you’re interested in.
Marking your app as compatible with a product means that:
You have tested your app with that product
You are able to support customers using your app with that product.
AutoCAD means ‘vanilla’ AutoCAD only. It does not include an AutoCAD vertical running its ‘vanilla’ profile.
- A list of Categories will be displayed for each Product you have selected under the Compatibility.
- Select up to 4 categories that apply to your application for each product it is compatible with, and add a custom category if needed.
- Don’t spam customers by selecting Categories that are not relevant to your app.
Click Continue to proceed.
App Summary screen
- This is a summary of the information you entered about your app.
- Click the Preview Button to open a new browser tab showing how your app will look in the store.
- Use the Back button to go back through the workflow to change any information that you don’t like in the Preview.
Click the Submit button if you’re happy with the Preview.
You should be contacted by an app reviewer within two weeks of submitting your app. Please email AppSubmissions@autodesk.com if you have not heard from us within that time.
Editing an existing app
When you update an app your existing version will remain in the store until it is reviewed and replaced with the updated version. To update an app, login and go to My Uploads via the upward pointing arrow in the top right side of the screen.
Click the edit button to move to the publishing workflow.
- To upload updated files:
- Click the Remove button.
- Click the Choose Files button and select your file in the dialog that appears.
- Update only the information you wish to change.
- Once the updated app is submitted for review, the app will have two versions - a "live" version and a "pending with edits" version.
The ADN team is here to help you be a successful publisher on Autodesk Exchange store. We’ll do whatever we can do to help you. You are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions after reviewing these guidelines and the other documentation on www.autodesk.com/developapps.
Thank you for participating on Autodesk Exchange Apps.