What is CAD / CAM?
CAD / CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) is a term that refers to computer software that is used to both design and manufacture products.
While CAD is the use of computer technology for the process of design and design documentation, CAD/CAM applications are used both for designing a product and for programming manufacturing processes, specifically, machining. The models and assemblies created in the CAD software are used by the CAM portion of the program to generate tool paths that drive the machines that turn the designs into physical parts. CAD/CAM software is most often used for machining of prototypes and finished parts.
Autodesk CAM solutions
HSMWorks and Inventor HSM are next-generation integrated CAM solutions. Whether you are producing prototypes or finished parts, these products put you in control of the digital prototyping to manufacturing workflow.
Autodesk CAM solutions deliver:
- Integration—Seamless integration with Inventor and SolidWorks software offers a truly transparent workflow and intuitive user experience.
- Performance—Native multi-core, 64-bit CAM engine makes easier work of the most demanding tool path calculations and post-processing jobs.
- Quality—Extremely efficient tool paths reduce cycle time, and machine and tool wear, and produce the highest-quality finished parts.
The Autodesk CAM solution delivers unbeatable performance and quality that puts you in control of your CNC programming operations.
CAM tools through ADN
The CAM Industry is an important part of the manufacturing market, and Autodesk has partnered with the leading players to provide customers access to the tools they need. AutoCAD and Inventor software are fully interoperable with manufacturing products such as EdgeCAM or InventorCAM, GibbsCAM, and MasterCAM.
The Autodesk Developer Network (ADN) offers a variety of CAM tools that work with AutoCAD and Inventor 3D CAD software. With more than 1,000 partners for AutoCAD alone, ADN offers a full range of manufacturing partnered products.
Digital Prototyping is an approach to product development that lets you design, visualize, and simulate products rapidly and cost-effectively. CAM further extends and completes the Digital Prototyping workflow. The Autodesk solution for Digital Prototyping gives you the tools you need to help simplify your product development workflow, from concept to manufacture, and marketing through maintenance. Grow revenue, spur innovation, and deliver quality products faster than ever by using Digital Prototyping to:
- Create more innovative concepts and engineer more accurate digital prototypes
- Perform simulations on digital prototypes to optimize designs
- Streamline documentation, data management, and collaboration
- Develop compelling, realistic visualizations to experience products before they’re real
Learn more about Digital Prototyping