Customize a Mold Base Layout
Autodesk Inventor Tooling - Customize a mold base layout
In this Skill Builder, explore how to use Autodesk Inventor Tooling to customize a mold base layout.
A mold base is an assembly of steel plates that contain the cores and cavities of a mold. The Mold Base feature is used to create a mold base.
Expected completion time: 15 minutes
Use with: Autodesk Inventor Professional 2010 with the Tooling add-in available here:
Start a new mold design
- To begin, start a new mold assembly or open an existing mold assembly. If you are starting with a new assembly, you must place a plastic part to enable the Mold Assembly tab.
- In the Mold Assembly tab, Mold Assembly panel, select Mold Base.
Note: Be sure to have the Mold Library loaded in order to read Content Center data. To load a Mold Library, click Inventor > Manage > Projects > Configure Content Center Libraries. In the Configure Libraries: Default dialog box, check the box in the Mold field, and click OK.
Select an existing mold base layout
- In the Standard area, use the drop-down menu to select mold base layout template.
Note: This skill builder is intended to show you the general workflow. Therefore, it is not important which mold base you select. We will not direct you to select a particular mold base. Select any template you like.
- In the Standard area, check the Customize box. The dialog box expands to show the Component section.
To save mold base layout template, do the following steps:
- Click Export a mold base template button in the right upper corner.
- Select a path for the layout template
- In the Export Template dialog box, specify a name for the layout template.
You can then re-use the mold base layout template:
- Click the Import a mold base template command in the right upper corner.
- In the Import Template dialog box, select the preferred layout template.
In this skill building exercise you:
- Learned how to select a standard mold base layout
- Learned how to activate customization
- Modified an existing layout
- Imported a mold base template
- Exported a mold base as a template