Implementing Autodesk Software Asset Management
Implement Autodesk software asset management (SAM) in five easy steps.
1. Appoint a software asset manager.
Give one person responsibility for:
- Purchasing software
- Tracking licenses
- Enforcing software policies and procedures
2. Perform a software inventory.
Manually assess the software installed on the hard drive of every computer.
3. Create a software registry.
Match software titles with licensing documentation, and then create a registry to track licensing information, software manuals, and original product CDs.
4. Set and distribute software policies and procedures.
- Create a software policy detailing your company’s rules for downloading, installing, and using software, as well as the consequences of violating the policy.
- Write an acquisition policy for the software asset manager, and include information on reputable resellers and procedures for storing license documentation.
5. Make a plan for future needs.
Survey employees to determine the software they need now and in the future. Commit to supplying fully licensed software to employees when they need it, and plan to survey employee needs at least once a year.