Benefiting from Software Asset Management
Software asset management (SAM) doesn’t just reduce your risk of noncompliance—it also delivers numerous business benefits. Industry analysts estimate that savings from SAM can reach 30 percent in the first year and 5-10 percent annually in subsequent years.*
Benefits of SAM include:
- Ensure that employees have the software tools they need to be productive.
- Reduce the strain on IT with automated SAM features.
- Stop overpaying for software or paying for software not in use.
- Get tax benefits by purchasing software before year-end financial close.
- Negotiate bulk discounts with software providers while armed with accurate information on licenses.
- Reduce unexpected licensing costs.
Improved Software Purchase Planning and License Management
- Know when software will become obsolete and need replacement, rather than automatically buying the newest release.
- Keep a running inventory record rather than a year-end tally.
- Always know which software license is in use and its location.
- Target upgrades to reduce hassle.
* “IT Asset Management: Moving to Higher Ground,” Frances O’Brien, Gartner ITAM Conference 2003.