In his role as Director of Strategic Initiatives, Jonathan Knowles serves as a senior advisor to the CEO and CTO at Autodesk. He explores the frontier of beyond the horizon technologies, provides insight on the evolving role of design-driven applied innovation, and conducts fieldwork to help solve some of the world's most complex problems. He is a creative thinker who researches the intersections between technology and global trends, bringing the arts, science and technology together, and connecting people and ideas.
A respected voice on future trends, long-range vision, and creating the preferred future, Jonathan advises business leaders, government officials, and tier-one academics around the world. With a focus on ocean science, space systems, robotics, biotechnology, nanotechnology, archaeology, and paleoanthropology, his expertise keeps him in dialog with designers, engineers, scientists, educators, and others seeking to imagine, design, and create a better world.
Jonathan is also responsible for operations of Autodesk Maritime Research & Development. He is the Autodesk Diving Safety Officer (DSO) leading and supervising diving expeditions and defining standards for training of Autodesk research and scientific divers.
Prior to joining Autodesk, he held senior positions at Adobe and Apple.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Federation of American Scientists
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Society for Gravitational and Space Biology
- Marine Technology Society
- Ocean Elders, Council of Advisors
- The Oceanography Society
- The American Polar Society (Life member)
- American Academy of Underwater Sciences
- American Geophysical Union
- Society for American Archaeology
- Nautical Archaeology Society
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Institute for Molecular Manufacturing (Fellow)
- The Explorers Club
- Royal Geographic Society with the Institute of British Geographers (Fellow)
- Society for Science & the Public
- Geospatial Information and Technology Association
- Cartography and Geographical Information Society
- Society for College Science Teachers
- National Science Teachers Association
- The Long Now Foundation
- IEEE (Nanotechnology, Robotics, Biological Engineering, Ocean Engineering)
- The Police Foundation (Board Member)
- Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
- National Defense Industrial Association
- National Military Intelligence Association (Life Member)
Download hi-res image for print