AutoCAD Civil 3D
AutoCAD® Civil 3D® is a powerful civil engineering tool incorporating a dynamic engineering model that allows elements to be automatically updated in response to changes in your design. Using AutoCAD® Civil 3D® as a platform, you can take advantage of industry-standard development tools and technologies when building applications.
Learn more about the latest AutoCAD Civil 3D features at the AutoCAD Civil 3D product center.
There are three APIs available for customizing AutoCAD® Civil 3D®:
- .NET API allows you to write plug-ins to AutoCAD® Civil 3D® in any .NET language.
- COM API can be used in creating VBA macros which you can run from the AutoCAD Civil 3D command line. Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) IDE is not included by default in AutoCAD® Civil 3D®, but you can download it from http://www.autodesk.com/vba-download. You can also create clients that access the COM API from managed (.NET) or unmanaged (C++) code.
- Custom Draw API (in C++) is an extension of the AutoCAD ObjectARX API that allows you to customize the way AutoCAD® Civil 3D® renders objects. The AutoCAD .NET Overrule API can be used for AutoCAD Civil 3D® objects.
- DevTV : Introduction to AutoCAD Civil 3D .NET Programming
A self-paced video tutorial on introduction to AutoCAD Civil 3D .NET Programming.
View Online | Download
- Video : AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Surface .NET API
A self-paced video tutorial demonstrating the new Surface objects and related function in AutoCAD 2012 .NET API.
View online | Download
- DevTV: Introduction to Civil 3D Programming
A self-paced video tutorial demonstrating how to get started developing with Civil 3D.
View online | Download
AutoCAD Civil 3D Developer’s Guide is designed for developers who want to customize AutoCAD® Civil 3D® or create applications using the underlying APIs. AutoCAD Civil 3D Developer’s Guide and API Reference Guide is available online. A downloadable version of Civil 3D 2013 and 2012 API Reference document is also available.
AutoCAD Civil 3D .NET API reference document is another very useful reference document with code snippets which covers the Civil 3D .NET objects. AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 .NET API reference document is now available for download.
API samples are included in the “Sample” folder of the AutoCAD Civil 3D installation directory.
Lots of useful code snippets are posted in Infrastructure Modeling DevBlog and in the ADN website.
Although AutoCAD® Civil 3D® does not expose an ObjectARX API, applications built with the AutoCAD ObjectARX SDK or the AutoCAD Map ObjectARX SDK (32bit) or ObjectARX SDK for AutoCAD Map (64bit) will run within AutoCAD® Civil 3D®. Find out more details about the Tools and programming environments supported for customization and application development of AutoCAD Civil 3D referring to Civil 3D Developers Guide and API Reference Documents.
Snoop Civil3D 2012 Database
This tool allows developers inspect the Civil3D Database without writing code. It works by showing the root objects of Civil3D 2012 (i.e. Styles, Alignments, Corridors, Assemblies, Subassemblies, Pipe networks and Surfaces) listing them on the left with all objects on each collections, such as all alignments on the active drawing, and once click on each item, list all its properties on right.
To use this tool, start AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012, type NETLOAD at the command line and load the 'SnoopCivil3DObjects.dll'. Run snoopCivil3DDB command. Once the DLL is loaded, you can invoke the command from right mouse click 'Snoop Civil3D'.
SnoopCivil3DTool | SnoopCivil3DVSProj